Bob Clarida heads our intellectual property practice, which has been rated Tier 1 in New York and Tier 3 nationally. He is widely recognized for his intellectual property expertise and has extensive experience in all aspects of securing, enforcing and licensing non-patent intellectual property rights, and in advising a broad range of clients on effective strategies for maximizing value and avoiding infringement risk.
Bob speaks and writes frequently on copyright issues. He is the author of the treatise COPYRIGHT LAW DESKBOOK (BNA 2009), and a principal presenter of the annual review of copyright decisions delivered each year to the Copyright Society of the USA.Read more
- Columbia Law School (J.D., 1993), where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.
- SUNY Stony Brook (Ph.D., Music Composition, 1987).
- Fulbright fellowship to the Musicology Institute of Gothenburg University, Sweden.
- Served as a director of the American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair of the Copyright and Literary Property Law Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Former Trustee of the Copyright Society of the USA
- New York
- Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of New York
- Eastern District of Michigan
- The U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
Selected Publications Include:
- Author, COPYRIGHT LAW DESKBOOK (BNA Bloomberg 2009, 857 pp.); and 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 Annual Supplements (2nd Edition forthcoming, 2016)
- Editor, THE FUTURE OF THE MUSIC BUSINESS: HOW TO SUCCEED WITH THE NEW DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES by Steve Gordon (Hal Leonard, 2005; 2d ed. 2008; 3d ed. 2011)
- “Copyright Headaches for Lenders and Borrowers: How to Avoid Losing Copyrighted Collateral,” IP VALUE COMMENTATOR (Vol. 1, No. 1 April 2003)
- “Electronic Copyright Rights: Do You Have What You Need?” PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY (Vol. 25, No. 4 Dec. 2009)
- Co-author, with Robert J. Bernstein: “Craigslist Fights Data-Scraping With Copyright Claims,” NEW YORK LAW JOURNAL (June 16, 2013)
- Co-author, with Steven R. Gordon: “Robin Thicke’s Legal Battle With Marvin Gaye’s Heirs,” ABA Entertainment and Sports Lawyer (Vol. 31, No. 1, May 2014)
- Law360.com (quoted) “Viacom Can’t Sue Over ‘Double Dare’ Trademark Threats”
- Received professional peer recognition for the field of intellectual property in Chambers USA (2010)
- “New York Superlawyers” (2006 – 2020)
- American Lawyer’s “Best Lawyers in the U.S.”(2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015) and for the field of copyright in Legal 500 (2007, 2011).