Brett Van Benthysen is a member of the firm’s litigation department. He represents corporate and individual clients in commercial litigation in both state and federal court and in arbitration. Prior to joining the firm, Brett was an associate at Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann LLP. Brett was selected to the Super Lawyers 2018 and 2017 New York Metro Rising Stars list.
Brett’s successful representations include:
- Obtaining a dismissal of all claims at the pleading stage for a Canadian petroleum services company in a lawsuit brought on behalf of the State of Pennsylvania related to MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) gasoline pollution.
- Settling a breach of contract dispute on behalf of a foreign social media company in a lawsuit brought by a purported investor.
- Recovering damages on behalf of a financial technology company in a multi-million dollar merger arbitration against the target company.
- Successfully resolving claims brought against a web, mobile and digital design agency in a breach of a contract action.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 2009)
- New York University (M.S., 2006)
- The College of New Jersey (B.A., 2004), magna cum laude
Brett has also represented indigent defendants in New Jersey on a pro bono basis. His representations include:
- Overturning a guilty plea for assault on the ground that the accused was not informed of his right to counsel.
- Representing a lifetime parolee at a parole revocation hearing.
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit