Intellectual Property & Licensing
The Intellectual Property & Licensing practice at Reitler takes two forms. First, it serves clients with specific IP problems, often advising on trademarks, copyrights, technology transfers and licensing. Second, it provides technical support for transactions initiated by other practice groups.
The Practice has brought its innovative problem-solving approach to matters involving almost every conceivable sphere of intellectual property and boasts one of the world’s preeminent copyright attorneys as its leader. Our Intellectual Property group collaborates with our corporate attorneys to offer counsel on issues ranging from policies and practices regarding protection of proprietary rights to possible liability arising out of potential infringement of the rights of others to due diligence support for M&A and securities transactions. Whichever practice area is being served, we employ our considerable critical-thinking ability and unique domain expertise in every transaction. Our experience includes:
- registration and protection of trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets under statues and international treaties;
- transactions to acquire, transfer, license, finance, develop and exploit intellectual property assets and rights in all media;
- advice regarding current developments in internet law, including domain names; ISP contracts; co-branding arrangements; e-commerce and contracts relating to the development and operation of web sites and mobile apps;
- protection against misappropriation and loss of IP rights through the use of employee policies and manuals; employment, confidentiality and non-competition agreements; and non-disclosure agreements;
- advice relating to trade secret disputes; copyright infringement; DMCA compliance; fair use opinions; copyright termination; defamation; selection, adaptation and use of trademarks; privacy and privacy policies and regulatory requirements; civil rights and right of publicity matters;
- advice regarding business method patents; and
- advice and preparation of software and SaaS platform development, licensing and maintenance contracts.